Our skin is one of the essential organs responsible for our appearance, controls temperature and protects us against infections. However, rough, thickened, flaky, itchy or painful dry skin loses its ability to function properly because receptors become less sensitive, the risks of premature ageing and sun damage increase, and the threat of infection increases. Effective solutions are usually based on skincare products that are appropriate for dry skin. They also include CBD cream, balm, lotion and other topicals that have become extremely popular in recent years. Let’s find out what CBD is and how it can revive and treat dry skin.
Main signs of the dry skin
The skin type depends on the activity of the sebaceous glands. The sebaceous glands are organs located in the dermis. They produce oil, known as sebum, which protects the skin from the environment, locks in moisture, controls the rate of renewal of epidermal cells and performs other functions. Dry skin has less sebum, due to which it has the following features:
- Gray, ashy skin
- Deep cracks that may bleed
- Fine lines or cracks
- Skin feels tight, especially after bathing, showering or swimming
- Itching (pruritus)
- Slight to severe scalping, flaking or peeling
- Skin that looks and feels rough
- Early wrinkles
Causes of the dry skin
The following factors cause skin dryness:
- Age factor. Over the years, the amount of secretions produced by the sebaceous glands gradually decreases. As a result, the skin type can change. For example, the oily skin becomes normal, and the normal skin turns out to be dry. The signs of water imbalance also become more visible.
- Body problems. The skin is the largest organ in the human body; therefore, it immediately responds when our health deteriorates. It can become dry due to disturbances in the gastrointestinal tract, nervous and endocrine system. The skin can change its colour and structure. People suffering from dryness should visit the doctor to exclude diseases such as dermatitis, eczema or psoriasis.
- External influence. The very dry skin is often the result of various external factors. They include washing with hard water, the air in the room overdried by heating devices during the cold season, prolonged exposure to high temperatures and ultraviolet radiation from the sun or tanning lamps.
- Improper care. People suffering from dryness don’t use products saturating the skin with moisture. Besides, they often take alkaline soaps, alcohol-containing cosmetics or decorative products based on drying components, as well as misemploy traumatic peeling. All these factors increase and worsen the signs of dehydration.
- Improper nutrition. Due to an unbalanced diet, people lack nutrients that are necessary to keep the skin fresh and healthy. When there is a deficiency of vitamins A, E, C and F, the skin loses elasticity, becomes flaky and dull. The insufficient intake of clean drinking water also has the same effects.
What can CBD do for dry skin?
CBD, the full mane of which is cannabidiol, is one of more than 80 compounds known as cannabinoids. They are extracted from a plant called Cannabis sativa. There are two most famous cannabinoids: cannabidiol, which does not have an intoxicating effect, and tetrahydrocannabinol (or THC), which causes intoxication. CBD has been in the shadows for a long time until scientists took an interest in its properties and revealed that they are beneficial for health. So, how can the benefits of CBD oil solve and relieve skin issues?
The researchers found that CBD has anti-inflammatory and pain-reducing properties. It is known that inflammation is guilty of acne or signs of ageing. In addition, the scientists got evidence that it can help with dry skin, psoriasis and eczema. That is why CBD manufacturers add this ingredient to face creams, serums and body lotions.
Moreover, CBD can effectively be used for other skin conditions. Besides anti-inflammatory properties, this compound has a moisturising effect, as well as it can reduce pain and itching. Cannabidiol is known for its antioxidant effects, too. This means it can fight free radicals, wrinkles and skin irregularities.
Free radicals are oxygen molecules with unpaired electrons. They are very active and strive to take the missing896 electron from any other molecule, which turns into free radical. They are caused by air pollution, smoking, radiation, stress, medicines, etc. It’s impossible to avoid free radicals, but we should reduce their effects because they adversely affect our skin.
The clinical studies showed that cannabidiol is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which can significantly improve the appearance of the skin, making it look younger.
Is CBD safe for the skin?
Topical CBD products work for all skin types. They are considered safe, well-tolerated in humans and have no dangerous side effects. Individuals spend a lot of money on different cosmetics and beauty aids that promise to make their skin perfect and shiny. However, unnatural products are full of different chemicals that can do more harm than improve the condition of your skin. Using natural ingredients and solutions is the best way to go. CBD is one of the safe and potent natural options in the market. It is able to help with various skin conditions, such as dryness, redness, acne, eczema and psoriasis. It can manage ageing, wrinkles and dry skin. The benefits to enjoy it are huge. For this reason, you should consider adding CBD creams and balms to your skincare routine.
Leave a Reply