Muscle tension or spasms can make your day a nightmare. In this article, we’ve collected several sure-fire ways to relax your muscles and improve your productivity throughout the day.
Dehydration, overuse of a muscle, muscle strain or static position for a prolonged period can cause a muscle cramp. Most muscle cramps are harmless. However, some may be related to an underlying medical condition, such as:
- Nerve compression in your spine. The pain usually gets worse the longer you walk. Inadequate blood supply. Narrowing of the arteries delivering blood to your legs can produce cramp-like pain in your legs and feet while exercising.
- Mineral depletion. An insufficient level of potassium, calcium or magnesium in your diet can also contribute to leg cramps.
- Medical conditions.
- Camomile tea. The herb has been used to deal with a variety of ailments, including muscle spasms. Camomile contains 36 flavonoids – compounds that have anti-inflammatory properties. You can also massage camomile essential oil onto affected muscles to provide relief from spasms.
- Cherry juice. The juice can help combat inflammation and muscle pain. Some studies even reveal that drinking tart cherry juice can minimise post-run pain. The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant qualities in the fruit help to relax muscles naturally.
- Cayenne pepper. Capsaicin found in cayenne pepper is a natural muscle relaxant. It’s often recommended to people who live with fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis. Usually, cayenne pepper is added to food, but you can also find it in capsule form and as a cream. The cream can be applied to areas affected by muscle spasms.
- B Vitamins. Vitamin B12 aids your body in producing red blood cells, which are responsible for delivering oxygen to the muscles. Vitamin B3 (Niacin) supports muscle growth.
- Vitamin D. People with regular muscle pain or spasms might be deficient in vitamin D. This vitamin comes in many forms, including tablets, capsules and liquids. You can also get it in various foods like fish, eggs, and fortified milk. Another way to get Vitamin D is regular exposure to sunlight.
- Vitamin E. This powerful antioxidant has shown that without it, the plasma membrane, which prevents a cell from spilling its contents and regulates what moves in and out, can’t properly heal.
- Magnesium. The mineral maintains normal muscle and nerve function. In fact, early symptoms of magnesium deficiency include muscle pain. Bananas, almonds, legumes, and brown rice are foods rich in magnesium. You can also use it in supplement and oil forms. Magnesium oil is not actually an oil. It is magnesium chloride which is dissolved in a liquid (usually in water) that has an oily feel when applied to the skin. Applying magnesium oil to the skin is a transdermal delivery method, which allows it to enter the bloodstream faster and start working on the affected area. Magnesium oil benefits include:
- Reduced DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness);
- Increased athletic performance;
- Sleep improvement;
- Reduced muscle pains, aches, cramping, and spasms;
- Better relaxation and stress management;
- Healthy skin and reduced outbreaks of psoriasis and eczema;
- Increased energy levels and improved moods.
CBD (cannabidiol) is obtained from the cannabis plant and is used for relief from pain, anxiety, and sleep disorders. CBD creams are often made by infusing high-quality cannabis plants with coconut or olive oil. Oil extracts the active compound of CBD before blending with therapeutic herbs to create an ointment for pain relief. CBD-infused creams are used in problem areas, for example, for joint pain, swelling or open wounds. CBD cream soothes and helps to heal the affected area. CBD can be used as an anti-inflammatory agent. Applying the cream to the skin so that it can soak in is a good way to reduce swelling and eradicate pain. Another theory is that CBD cream kickstarts the natural endocannabinoids within the body, similar to the CB2 receptors found in the immune system.
You can find CBD products online or in grocery stores because the companies are producing these products like there is no tomorrow. You should remember that there are a lot of unreliable brands and products that have misleading information on the product labels and can consequently cause harm to your health. What you should really be after are GMO and pesticide-free products and always ask for a certificate of analysis (COA) for your peace of mind and beneficial CBD treatment.