Social Security Disability insurance is a program meant to help Americans who are no longer able to work because of permanent disability. The Social Security Administration allows disabled adults to apply for these benefits online. Applicants do not need to schedule an appointment with their local Social Security office or talk with a local Social Security representative. That being said, there are several requirements for who can apply for benefits. We will discuss them below.
Who can apply for an online Social Security Disability?
Below are some of the general requirements for any adult who is applying for Social Security disability benefits.
● Age: An applicant who is applying for Social Security Disability must be 18 years old or older.
● Social Security Benefits: An applicant applying for Social Security Disability must not be receiving any benefits under Social Security.
● Medical Condition: An applicant applying for Social Security Disability should have been unable to work for at least a year due to permanent disability.
Required Documents For Your Social Security Disability Application
Here are a few essential documents you must have when applying for Social Security Disability benefits:
● Birth certificate: An applicant applying for Social Security Disability must have proof of age, preferably in the form of a birth certificate.
● Proof of U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Residence: An applicant applying for Social Security Disability must have proper proof of U.S. Citizenship or permanent residence within the U.S.
● Medical Evidence: An applicant must have valid medical documentation about their disability and inability to work.
● W-2 Forms: An applicant should have their W-2 form from last year
Is there any other way of applying Social Security Disability?
There are other ways of applying for Social Security Disability benefits. You can either apply in person or on the phone:
● Social Security Office: An applicant can easily visit their local Social Security office, but for that, they will require an appointment.
● Phone Number: An applicant must dial the number 1-800-772-1213 available from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Applying for Social Security Disability can be done from anywhere. However, the application process can be daunting. If you are confused, you might want to consider consulting with a local Social Security lawyer.
If you want to learn more about our blog, please click here.